From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:58:03 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/02 3:59:47 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< But if I can protect the milk supply, and baby is fed, then we have time to
get things going...at mom's pace.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask] >>

Jeanette, this is exactly the reasoning I use and it has helped me to
prioritize things for my patients and for myself.  I think there is a
heirarchy of needs--feeding the baby being the top priority, protecting the
milk supply being the second and getting the baby to breast being the third.
In the best of situations we can work on all three simultaneously, but often
there are factors that intervene--baby can't latch, suck is uncoordinated or
ineffective, supply is low. It can be overwhelming for a mother to think she
has to solve all these problems at once.  By prioritizing, I can reassure her
that we will help her get her baby fed, we can work on milk supply and then
in almost all cases we can get the baby to breast.  When I see a mother post
partum and the baby cannot latch, I start her pumping and explain the
importance of frequent and thorough milk removal.  At the same time I advise
skin to skin holding and continued attempts at latch with the reassurance if
it doesn't happen right now it is ok. I help the parents choose a
supplementation method that they are comfortable with and offer post partum
follow up in our outptatient clinic.  I reassure her that if we can get an
ample milk supply we have all kinds of ways to get baby back to breast.  I
think in those stressful days post partum it helps if we can get things into
perspective for parents and can recognize that some can do everything that is
recommended to them and that others can work on one thing at a time.  If baby
is latching but not effecting good milk transfer I still keep the baby at
breast but explain to the mother how she needs to pump to protect her  supply
and again help her to choose the best method for her and her baby for
supplementation.  One of the most helpful things is to let parents know that
this is a process and that with time most issues can be solved.  I find that
in our setting parents are very stressed when they imagine going home and not
being able to effectively feed their baby.  When I can give them a plan to do
this while still working on bfdg (even if it is pumping and bottlefeeding in
the short term with the reasssurance that we will work diligently to get this
baby to breastfeed) they often breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC
Mountain View, CA