From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:35:21 EDT
The following tests need to be run:
An Ultrasound of the breast to rule out a mass which can create flow problems
that result in infection.
A CBC to rule out anemia
Nasal and oral cultures of the infant--if positive bactorban can be
prescribed to treat/lover the bacterial load  (sometimes they treat the whole family)

A milk culture to evaluate for fungus, yeast and bacteria--again treating
according to results.  Yeast is hard to culture but can be a cause of reoccurant
mastitis and can be treated emperically.

Also ask:
Could she be reinfecting herself with usage of contaminated creams applied to
the nipples.  What about contaminated pumping supplies?
Consider mechanical issues: Is she taking particular care to keep the breast
well drained, no underwires or other clothing that creates pressure, sleeping
on her stomach?  Does she massage that breast really well with feedings?

Nutritional status may be a factor--Is she eating well?
Fatigue/stress may be a factor--Can she get more sleep and do less around the
house?

It is acceptable to treat the mother with low dose antibiotics over several
months (like we do for UTI's).  Lawrence recommends  Erthromycin.  I have used
septra.  But her culture results may indicate a better choice.

The lecithin is a good idea and may solve the problem.  I hope it does.
Chris

Christine Betzold NP IBCLC MSN
www.starfireinternational.net/breastfed