Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:10:34 -0600
>    For how long should soy be eliminated to rule it out as a source of this
>baby's discomfort?

I find that there is usually improvement within 3 days, but usually the
test is not conclusive until at least a week.  I have had several mothers
who conclude after 3-4 days that the test food is not a problem, even
though the baby is feeling somewhat better.  If they are reluctant to give
it more time, I suggest that they take a day and eat or drink a lot of the
questionable food, not just a spot of it.  If they do that they call back
the next day and exclaim, "It *was* the dairy (or soy or...)."  The baby
had been severely affected by this dose.

This technique, though hard on the baby, serves as a confirmation and it is
not hard to get the mothers to avoid it fully.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]