From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:53:16 -0400
Katherine, on Mon, 16 Jun 1997, you were asking our opinion on

> Hold baby along the left arm with baby's head in the left hand,
> support the right breast with the right hand (elbow stuck out in
> mid-air), allow the baby to rest primarily on a pillow on the lap,

I can cope with the elbow in mid-air. Supporting the baby's head with the
same hand that holds the baby give better and less invasive control over
the head. It is very important, though, to make sure that the baby is
supported by pillows, and that the arm is there to guide baby, not lift
it: otherwise, muscular fatigue kicks in, the arm lowers a little bit,
and the  baby unlatches or pulls on the nipple. Not good. The elbow in
mid-air may not stay there for long, as the mother can revert to the
"usual" Madonna position after Baby is successfully latched.

> then lean the right shoulder in toward the baby in order to "put the breast
> in the mouth" making jabbing motions with right arm/shoulder breast.

The leaning disturbs me: hello, backaches ! Instead, bring the baby to
the breast, with pillows and the hand supporting the head.  We all know
that, don't we ?

> ...this was the *only* way I could successfully breastfeed my premie."

When you think of it, this is the way one holds the Baby in the "football"
position: same arm supporting body and controlling head. However, for
parents, "reversed Madonna" and "football" are not the same, nor do they
look like the "only way"... And what about lying down, a life and sanity
saver with these often high-needs babies ...  I have come to the
conclusion to firmly endorse the "whatever works" position.

> "We refer to them as the 'Lactation Nazis'".

There you go... Make breasfeeding religious, with rules, regulations and
"only one way to do it", and you will lose credibility, the parents will
lose the most practical and pleasant way to nurture their baby, and the
baby will lose the best milk possible, because "breastfeeding is just to
difficult, bothersome, time-consuming, etc..."

> Any suggestions, folks? I plan to write a letter to the MCH Director, as
> I think no administration would not like any of their services being
> referred to in such a manner - this is really bad publicity for the
> hospital, not to mention the LC profession.

If you could get some of these parents to back up your observations, you
could have a better ear from the MCH director. The client's perspective,
you see...
Hope it helps,

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Montreal, Quebec, Canada