From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:49:07 -0700
I often tell moms (our moms are often Mexican, so they understand the context) that in my country we used to cover mirrors when a person died - but that I would like to institute a new tradition: that after the birth of a baby all CLOCKS should be shrouded!

  I've been reading various books and information on "cue feeding" as it has become a big issue not only in the breastfeeding community, but also in the anti-obesity community.  One book I'm enjoying is: What Babies Say Before They Can Talk by Paul C. Holinger.

  It's clear that there's a big misunderstanding about timing of feedings, hindmilk and foremilk, "feed from the first breast first", etc.  Part of the reason, I believe, is the inclination people have to learn from ONE person, or ONE book and then consider that the "be all and end all" of information.

  Lactnet certainly helps to alleviate THAT condition!  Perhaps we should "require" a month of Lactnet every 5 years, prior to re-certification as an IBCLC???

  Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
  California, USA