From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:47:02 EDT
Hi Stacey --I started to post this privately then realized that there are
probably many novices to teaching that could use some ideas ( or experts
who'd like some new ones--I know I always do!) Good luck on teaching the bf
classes -- glad to hear someone who believes in BF will be teaching.

 I do not use posters in my three hour class. I show the Righard film (6 min)
on self attachment after talking about the basics. the moms & dads are amazed
at the power of infants!! I use the film as a springboard to talk about labor
practices and meds & how they affect the baby. I also show the Kittie Franz
film on first attachment (I think that might be the actual name of it), and
have the mommys practice with baby dolls while the film is on and after it is
over.

I use a cloth peel-back life sized breast model (childbirth graphics) to
teach anatomy & physiology, show hand expression, proper latch on, etc. You
might also get the balloons from Medela with the breast interior printed on
it....it makes for a great ice breaker with a few laughs. You can use the
different sizes that inevitable come up as a starting point for "different
sizes, same equipment" and later in class, use one of the over inflated ones
to represent engorgement and a softer one to demo proper latch onto a softer
breast; you can also use a softer one to demo pumping. The only other
equipment I use is devices, such as pumps, lanolin, bras, nursing pads &
bras, cups to demo cup feeding option, etc. I only do the pumps for the last
10 min as I tell clients it is difficult to talk about weaning a baby that
has yet to be born!! I also tell them that weaning, pumping, etc needs to be
done on an indiv basis, and just provide the option that bf doesn't have to
stop if mom works, etc, but that weaning should be gradual.

Good luck. Looking forward to ideas from others. Kathy IBCLC RNC in NJ