From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:53:02 -0400
    My colleagues at work(local hospital) and I had been discussing the recent talk on the change in SoP, when one astute LC remarked that this reminded her of what had happened to ASPO Lamaze.  This may not be exactly accurate, but according to her memory In the 80's they were a big organization and the ASPO credential meant something in the field of childbirth education.  Then the organization created a second  credential, raised fees, and did many things that angered the instructors, so many of them decided it wasn't worth it to be ASPO certified.  Today the organization is a mere shell of what it once was.  Infact, as we were discussing this our pump company rep came in, and she remarked that they (big company) weren't even going to the ASPO conference this year, as it had dwindled down so much.
    And yesterday I had a mom come into our lactation center(store) and ask to look at a copy of Hale.  She had just been to the ENT for a sinus infection and she wanted to check out the medication he was reccomending she take. Her third baby is now 6 months old, and we have helped her with all three children.   Her comment to me really hit home.  She said "He (ENT), said to call my doctor, but I came to see you ladies as I know you always tell me the truth, and  you are always right anyway!!"  After she left I kept thinking about what she had said -  Yes, I do tell the truth, and I'm not about to stop.  So if the IBCLE police catch me I guess I will lose my credentials.   Yes, I'm careful about how I phrase it, but  I can't stand around and hide the truth from  a mom in distress.  I do reccomend herbs(we sell the Motherlove products).  They work well, and moms are always happy with the results.    I hand out copies of the AAP drug list, or let moms look up things in Hale, and I've been known to reccomend that a mother might want to get a second opinion.   How can an IBCLC protect, promote, and support breastfeeding if we can't tell the truth???

Peg Merrill  IBCLC (since 1990) but maybe not much longer!