From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:09:21 -0400
Thank you to all who responded to the nipple ring story.  Today our LPN
who has been studying (for sometime now, and will take the boards this
year) was in the room with the mom when I arrived.  She had picked up my
message on our breastfeeding line and had gone directly to this moms
room.  She promptly called our engineering staff, told them of the
dilemma and one of the guys brought up his tools.  This LPN decided on
three tools to take in and *try*.  The needle nose pliers did grip the
ring well but neither of us could get the ring out.  In comes our 8 mo
pregnant Respiratory Therapist (NICU).  She calmly tells the mom she use
to have a belly ring and she thought she could help.  She was the
answer!  She took the needle nose pliers and in a couple of seconds the
ring was off!

Of course the staff had a fit when I told them some Lactnetters have had
moms nurse with them.  They also thought I was nuts (well, I am a
Lactnut) for even helping her.  I thanked everyone who was in that room
helping me. I firmly believe ANY breastfeeding is better than none and
was not happy the staff had her supplementing all night. I had even told
the mom there was absolutely NO need to, the kid was a champ.  She felt
intimidated by the night shift.  To top this off the baby ended up in
NICU late today as I was leaving, unrelated to eating issues.  You will
all hear me scream if the baby is being supplemented there.  The baby
nursed great all day.  I'll go visit them in NICU after my CEU class I
am teaching in the AM.  So much work to do!  I need to get a move on the
Breastfeedinng Task force at the hospital!  I'm in the middle of getting
the Lactation Center ready to open next week and then I can get us
together for our first meeting.

It is so great to have this site, so supportive and educational!  Thanks
to all the *Wise Ones*!
Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE
I am also at :[log in to unmask]