From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 14:07:35 -0500
Hi there...Since Kathleen Auerbach is not  on line at the moment, I will
respond as best I can to concerns about the purpose of Lactnet, and
concerning our colleague who needs assistance in her own very difficult
situation.

Pat says..

"  I understand your feeling that we have let you down.  We can throw around
our techniques and our experience and our strong opinions, but sometimes we
just don't know enough."

We are all , I am sure, thinking of ways to help Carrie in her most
difficult situation. However, let us remember too, that doing LC work via
the internet/Lactnet is not our major focus here.  It is so difficult to do
such work over the internet..,...and it is like you all guessing what color
my shirt is today...how could you know , or have any idea, without seeing
me?  Our purpose is to learn and guide each other , and to make professional
connections so that we may help the mothers who we work with in our own
lives...in person.  Sometimes, special people may come to us and ask us for
help...and we do the best we can...but we cannot fix things via email most
times...it is not letting anyone down, I believe.  It is just fact that
email does not equal a one on one LC consult.  And, sometimes, the answers
don't come easy.....

Maureen said:"
"Why was there so
disappointingly little response? I have had a few thoughts on this.  I feel
it is unrealistic to expect either that there will be answers to every
question we ask on Lactnet (I rarely get answers to questions, as distinct
from comments), or that many others will take time just to empathise and
offer support when they have no concrete suggestion to offer. I am
reluctant to cost hundreds of LCs money (some pay for every line) by
posting such comments on Lactnet, and cannot personally afford the time to
e-mail privately each individual whose problem touches me. Was this one of
the reasons the Kathleens tried to encourage ParentLine, not Lactnet, as
the place for seeking support in personal cases? "

Yes, this is clearly stated, I believe.

"I for one feel reproached
for having not responded to this mother's pain, yet what could be said that
is useful and not already stated? And if each Lactnut posted for each of
many lactational crises, the digest would be huge indeed, and we would be
overwhelmed in empathetic rather than informative comments.."

Not to diminish Carrie's pain and suffering in this all-too difficult
situation, I must say that Maureen is right.  If Lactnet was used as a place
for personal help situations on a regular basis, I fear that things would
get out of control very quickly, and that this is not the basic purpose of
Lactnet.  Maureen, you are right.

This does not mean that we cannot be empathetic to our colleague, within the
bounds of our abilities, our time, our energies, and as it fits for each of
us. I am sure we all would help if we possibly could.  Let us continue to
make connections and to learn from each other...and to support as best we can.

Warmly, Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html