From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 07:33:48 -0700
 "Back to Sleep:
>Sudden Infant Death Syndrome:  A Video on Helping to Reduce the Risk" and
>can be obtained by calling 1-800-505-CRIB.  It also has a mother placing
>her baby in a crib in her own room, but the teaching points are put the
>baby on back or side, take stuffed animals out of crib, avoid overheating
>baby's room, no smoking near the baby, and (finally) it's best to
>breastfeed if possible (the speaker then goes on to say that babies get
>all they need from breastfeeding "in the first couple of months"(!)).

I have the brochure, "Back to Sleep," where it says, "IF POSSIBLE, you
should CONSIDER breastfeeding your baby" (caps mine).  Under the section on
smoking, it does not say, "If possible, you should consider creating a
smoke-free zone around your baby."  It just says, do it:  "Create a
smoke-free zone around your baby."

It is always possible to *consider* breastfeeding--the message has two
dilutions in it which make it sound much more tentative than positive.  The
sentence should be left out entirely, and the second sentence let stand:
"Breast milk helps to keep your baby healthy," followed by a simple
statement such as "SIDS is less common in breastfed babies," or
"Breastfeeding helps to prevent SIDS."  Give them the info--let them decide
what to do.  But of course the whole pamphlet is prescriptive--do this, do
that--so why not the breastfeeding section?

Considering the position of the US Surgeons General over the past 20 years,
and the position of the AAP, I'm surprised the statement supporting bf
isn't made more strongly.

Arly Helm               [log in to unmask]
MS, Nutrition & Food Science, CLE, IBCLC