Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:53:31 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I think that some useful points have been raised in the discussion about the quality of care given to infants in NICUs. However, I would remind posters to avoid generalisations and to include qualifiers in their discussions about any group. No group is homogenous in a good or bad way, there clearly is a mix. I would also remind you that we have members here on Lactnet from different backgrounds and as a result there will be different perspectives provided. Someone who works within a hospital system will have a different perspective than someone who works with mothers outside of the system. For a greater understanding of how this may be evidenced specifically in the NICU environment I would refer people to Lupton D, Fenwick J. 'They've forgotten that I'm the mum': constructing and practising motherhood in special care nurseries. Social Science and Medicine. 2001 Oct;53(8):1011-21. which talks to both mothers and nurses.
I would also remind Lactnetters not to take posts personally. So, before you post, please think about what the original poster was trying to communicate and construct thoughtful replies that seek to increase understanding.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2