Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:52:20 -0400
Saw a mom and baby today and I was hoping to get some feedback from the
wonderful lactnetters that always seem willing to help out.
Mom has history of infertility but experienced breast changes and milk
coming in following the VBAC delivery of 7lb 4oz baby girl.  Mom also has
history of polycystic ovarian disease and pulmonary stenosis.  Baby
started out in the 75% by 3mos was in 50% and is currently in 10%.  Was
13lb3oz at 3mos is now 13lb9oz at 6mo.  Baby has been tested for heart
problems due to mom's hx and is negative.
Pedi wants her to use soy formula to supplement her nursings (at least he
didn't tell her to stop!)
At three mos (not under my "care") she was put on BCP with an estrogen
pill supplement to control bleeding from the PCO disorder.  It also seems
to be the point at which she noticed her milk drop off and baby become
more "fussy".  She has just this week stopped the pills as she came to
the conclusion on her own that this was affecting her supply (DUH, what
was the MD thinking she knew she was breastfeeding!) She came to me kinda
desperate and feeling like a failure after MD mentioned this might affect
the baby's mental development.  Currently she is developmentally
appropriate.  Baby does not seem hungry, lethargic or even thin.  Just
small for age but has "cheeks" and good skin tone.  If you saw this baby
you would think really cute baby but you might guess her for 4mos not 6.
Here are my suggestions for mom...please comment.
1. She can use her own expressed milk as a supplement.  I gave her an SNS
but baby is also beginning to use a cup so she may use that instead even
though it doesn't keep the baby at the breast.  She thought it might be
better as she has a difficult time keeping the baby happy at breast at
the present time.  She fusses after about 2 minutes.  She is adamantly
opposed to using the soy formula and is afraid if she doesn't the MD will
call DSS and "they'll take my baby away".
2.  Nurse and pump every two hours if at all possible.  Once again the
baby isn't very happy there right now, probably because there isn't much
there.  I gave her the use of an electric pump.  She was unable to pump
anything after using it 10min in the office after the baby breastfed for
about 5 min / side.  I told her not to be discouraged that each time she
uses it she will get just a bit more.
3.  Suggested she might try fenugreek to boost her supply a bit until it
gets going from the increased pumping / nursing.
TIA

Warmly, Ilene Fabisch, Brockton, MA
"Each day is a blank canvas waiting for our unique brushstrokes to create
a masterpiece."