From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:32:15 EDT
Dear Kellie,

You wrote about a mom with a 3 mos old with oversupply issues and nipple
blebs and plugged ducts.  There are many previous posts about treatment of all
these problems in the archives but will give you suggestions for each.  For
oversupply she could take parsley or sage in addition to using one breast per every
four or more hours.  She will likely need to express only to comfort the
unused breast, or risk more severe blocked ducts and maybe mastitis.  She can
treat the blebs by soaking in salt water (1/4 teas per cup of warm water) and then
gently abrading the nipple face with a washcloth to open.  Once open, she
should breastfeed as soon as possible or pump as in my experience the blebs often
are the cause of the plugs and milk removal will release the plugs as well.
Then have her get a script for Newman's (Jack, not Paul) All Purpose Nipple
OIntment and use after feeds.  Use of olive oil or simple homeopathic calendula
ointment are other alternatives.  I've had moms who are afraid to empty the
breast well by a bit of additional pumping, but until the blebs and blocked
ducts are resolved, she runs the risk of mastitis and treating these while
simultaneously treating for oversupply will eventually bring her supply down to
what's manageable and likely eliminate recurrent blocked ducts and blebs.

If you have further questions, I'd be glad to help; sorry I don't have the
dose of parsley or sage in front of me, these would be capsules.  Sage tea, 1-2
cups for 2-3 days with careful noting by mom of her supply can also be used.
Another possibility is the use of Sudafed--again dosage not in front of me,
but all this is in the archives.  Two herbal sites also may be of help; Mechell
Turner's, birthandbreastfeeding.com  and Kathryn Cox's motherlove.com; both
have sage, etc in tincutures for reducing supply.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC