From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:46:05 -0700
There have been so many thoughtful comments on this issue.

I am reminded of a few cases I've encountered of "modern stress."  In domestic disputes and custody battles I have seen nursing children and their mothers separated abruptly and without warning, sometimes with violence.  In such cases, after a period of separation and then reunion, mothers have reported to me that though their milk "stopped" and then "returned," they felt their supply was never the same again.  My understanding has been that their bodies no longer respond as well to the vagaries of life.  Is this a true physiological response?  Do these mothers "simply" no longer trust their bodies to work for them, or is that lack of trust justified?

Some mothers seem to nurse through tremendous challenges with little impact on milk supply or release, others report a permanent change to the nursing relationship.  I wonder how different this is from the lesser challenges that, again, have little effect on many nursing couples but puzzle some mothers and their counselors with weeks or months of work to re-establish a "normal" relationship.

Perhaps the most curious modern stress is the assumption hurled at many mothers (unsupported, untrue) that they may not be able to feed the children they have labored so hard to bring into the world.  It is particularly ironic that this challenge be laid in the lap of an overfed, privileged population.  Surely mothers in a culture of abundance might be considered undernourished on several levels.  It might even be that a closer look at the privilege of stress sheds light on separate issues of deprivation -- nutrition, safety, knowledge, that nebulous experience of support.

An interesting thought as we approach World Breastfeeding Week and WABA's message, aimed at all of us this year, to offer a gold standard of mother support.  The longer I work in support of nursing mothers, the more complicated I understand the reality of support to be.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA