From:
Alice Ernest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:24:50 EDT
  A bit of history.  Babies R Us was founded right here in Simpsonville, SC,
by Jack Tate.  They are and have been very community oriented and
breastfeeding supportive.  Here, locally, I have a very good rapport with the
manager and the community relations director in charge of the "Registry".
They pay for 2500 (soon to be 3500, I hope) LLL meeting notices.  They have
been holding Baby Fests bimonthly where LLL and my lactation business are
asked to participate.  The director always puts our table at the front door
and the manager has the breastfeeding supplies and pumps in the first aisle
of the store.  They have a nursing mothers room and they have asked my advice
about what the room needs.  I personally do not know where the ABM is in the
store.  The Registry does hand out the little rabbit bags with a coupon for
the larger bag for the nurses to hand out, but I feel that our positive
comments about breastfeeding work much better than any negative remarks,
because they have probably been mandated by the higher ups at Toys R Us who
bought out Babies R Us a few years ago (and probably paid for by ABM
companies) to hand out the rabbit bags.  At least, they are not handing out
the actual ABM samples here.  In summary, rather than trying to deal with the
unknowns at the main office of Toys R Us, try to get to know your local
managers and community relations people, speak positively about breastfeeding
to them (I manage to talk to everyone, even the sales clerks and shelf
stockers), and you may be able to make some friends who may offer to help
with your "crusade".  Babies R Us has offered to let us set up a special
display for WBW.  Protect and support BFing and you will win many converts,
one at a time--then who will buy the stinky ABM!
Alice Ernest LLLL, IBCLC
Simpsonville, SC
Who had a working vacation when my new grandaughter, Kiera, couldn't get the
"whole" nipple  into her mouth.  DOB 7-1-99 in Cleveland, Ohio.  Mother-baby
well.