Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 22:45:41 +0200
Hello Sam and all,
My kids also have perfect teeth, thank goodness and I really do believe it
was lack of pacifiers and breastfeeding that played a crucial part. Also
anecdotal. Wondering how many of our bf kids needed braces.
Hmmm. That could be an interesting study along with paci use.

Babies unlucky enough to receive only bottles, really would need a
replacement for the breast in order to answer their sucking needs. As we all
know, bf babies get this need met, but more bottles of liquids or more
formula will not answer these needs for a non bf baby and could cause
extreme over feeding. So by virtue of the fact that the breast does answer
this need, then it stands to reason that bf babies would be more alert and
wake in the event of an episode of apnea or some system malfunction while
sleeping. My impression was not that the recommendation was in order to
induce more sleep but to make the baby more active - AS IF HE WERE BFG
during the night, just like his breastfeeding counterparts. I would say,
that the recommendation would NOT be required for bf babies at all, because
they are already doin what nature intended. Thus the reduction in SIDS
incidents..

Ellen shein,
LLLI IBCLC
Tel Aviv