From:
Sharlene Mracek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2013 12:02:23 -0500
My assessment of the Breast Flow was leaky and flowed too fast.  However, I did observe with one infant, the tongue had proper placement and made a trough.  I should clarify I don't like to promote one brand over another, but someone told my co-workers these bottles were the best for breastfeeders.   I wasn't really looking for a public endorsement, just some different nipple types/ brands I could suggest my clients look for.  Most recently I have just told them to look for wide based nipples, like the playtex, Avent, etc.
When I returned to work, with my own babies I preferred Playtex.  I tried Avent, Adiri, and probably one or two others, but they preferred the Playtex.
 I just read yesterday, after my post on  Lacnet, "Goldfield, Richardson, Lee, and Margetts (2006) demonstrated that swallowing during breastfeeding was distributed nonrandomly and occurred at the peaks of intraoral sucking pressures. A group of infants in this study using a Playtex bottle system displayed a pattern of sucking, swallowing, and breathing that was more similar to the physiological norm of breastfeeding than the pattern observed in a group of infants using an Avent bottle system. If infants need to be supplemented and a bottle is chosen to provide extra milk, clinicians may wish to choose those bottles that disrupt breastfeeding the least (Peterson & Harmer, 2010)."
Walker, Marsha (2013-06-01). Breastfeeding Management for the Clinician (Kindle Locations 4804-4808). Jones & Bartlett Learning. Kindle Edition.
The same textbook mentions Donna Geddes is doing research on developing a nipple that only works with increased intraoral sucking pressure, but I don't know if that has bee in production yet.
If bottles are the only option, I will continue to recommend they look for wide based nipples.  I have never felt comfortable recommending one brand over the other anyways, when it comes to pumps, bottles, etc.  Now that I'm on the path to becoming an LC, I want to be and will be more diligent in making sure my clients are looking into multiple options.
Sharlene Mracek, RN, CLE, CCE