From:
"Heitsch, Grace" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:25:49 -0500
Please help if you have knowledge,

A young mother who works in our clinic is breast feeding a 2 month old, and
just returned to work.  She experienced a needle stick today (inadvertently
stuck herself with a needle contaminated with patient's blood).  Per
protocol, the patient's blood is being sent for testing of HIV, Hep b, and
Hep c.  The patient is considered low risk for any of these, but mother
remains VERY concerned about continuing to breast feed, not wishing any harm
to her child.  We will have results by midnight, and she has enough banked
milk until then.

She is vaccinated for Hep -B and I find references stating that there is no
Hep C documented to pass through breast milk, the concern remains for HIV
virus.

I have searched the LACTNET archives and found nothing pertinent (though
perhaps I used the wrong terms).  I felt this was an appropriate topic -
even if this patient comes up negative, the issue will certainly come up
again.

thank you.

Grace Heitsch, MD, FAAP
Duluth Clinic- Ashland
1625 Maple Ln
Ashland, WI  54806
715/682-2358
fax: 715/682-2481
voice mail: 715/685-7582
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"My heart is torn by all I cannot save, so much has been destroyed.  I
choose to cast my lot with those who, age after age, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  Adrienne Rich (makes me think of breast
feeding moms)