From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:25:06 -0900
I just received this reply about the baby in Sharon, WI.  I am sharing it
on Lactnet with the permission of the writer:

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:05:42 -0600
From: "Terrell Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sharon, WI

I was notified of the Sharon, Wisconsin breastfed baby who was taken away =
from the family by Social Services via a Wisconsin member of LACTNET. This =
intervention used input from the local WIC program and Public Health =
Nursing. I have looked into the situation and want to assure you and =
others that the intervention is entirely appropriate. The infant required =
hospitalization at 3 months at 2.5 oz above birth weight and is now in =
foster care. Details of the case are confidential.

Breastfeeding is a priority in our state. The breastfeeding relationship =
is extremely important and we would not take lightly any inappropriate =
disruption of that relationship.

        Terrell Brock, MPH, RD
        Maternal Child Health & WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator
        Wisconsin Bureau of Public Health
        608-267-3694

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL Leader in Madison, WI