From:
Rosemary Gauld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:57:25 +0200
<My question is:  What is wrong with supporting a mom in her dicision to
stop
breastfeeding, what ever her reason?  Not all moms desire to nurse untill
their child is in first grade.  Isn't some time at the breast better than
none?    This one message sounded so negative and judgemental, as I read it
though, I just had to write.  Was this just a bad day, or was the writer  in
need of someone to ventilate to?>

I am sure that most of us who are involved with mothers and babies and
breastfeeding "know" that we need to respect the mother's decision to stop
breastfeeding whenever she chooses to do so. I think it just is harder for
us to do this because we have become skeptical about the well meaning, but
often misleading information, that is dished out to mothers. On a daily
basis most of us are probably dealing with having to "re-educate" mothers on
the actual evidence-based-facts of breastfeeding, rather than some outdated,
usually anecdotal "mythinformation." I am sure many of us regularly see
mothers whose breastfeeding experiences have been sabotaged by some faulty
understanding of the process. Mothers are often told to stop breastfeeding
for a multitude of reasons. Our first resort would usually be to try and fix
the breastfeeding wherever possible and the last resort would be to stop
breastfeeding. Some of us may either be driven by a passion for
breastfeeding based of our own experiences, both negative and positive, or
our knowledge, which in turn may lead us to feel strongly about long-term
breastfeeding. Mothers make their own decisions based on the information
they have at the time and providing that this information is the most
up-to-date available, there will probably not be any later regret.
 It's great that you can reflect on your own breastfeeding relationship with
your sons with joy and fulfillment.

Rose Gauld - who breastfed her three girls for a collective total of 7
years.