From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:11:10 +0000
Katherine Abdun-Nur RN IBCLC wrote:

<<<I admittedly do not have knowledge regarding insurance reimbursement
practices in the Netherlands, but I find it hard to understand how one
could expect the company to pay for one's food...even in the case of
allergies requiring special foods. >>>

I'll answer this one, bc I know Siemian doesn't read all posts (lack of
time, and ongoing troubles with her mail).

I must admit, I was a bit suprirised by this too. I haven't heard a similar
case before. In the Netherlands insurance compagnies 'everything' that is
needed for treating illnesses. Eg, when a baby is diagnosed for allergies,
isn't breastfed, and is prescribed hypoallergenic formula, the insurance
compagnies will pay that formula. However, if the parents give
hypoallergenic formula to ther baby bc they want to prevent allergy (eg
they are an allergic family, and they do not breastfeed), the insurance
compagnies will not pay for it. One needs an official diagnosis for it.

I think Siemian Berghuijs was asked to give such a diagnosis, or supporting
references, so that this particular mother could try to let the insuracnce
compagnies pay for the special food (without pesticides) she need.

Honestly said, I do not think they will manage in that, but one could try.

Annelies Bon      http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/abon/bfbronnen.html
mother of Dirk 7yo, Tom 5yo, Pieter 2yo
mailto:[log in to unmask]
breastfeeding counsellor of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"