From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:21:18 -0400
My take on a baby who won't take a bottle is not to get too worried
about it. Some babies just need mom to be gone for a while to figure out
how to eat. This is really hard for moms, because they do want to know
that their baby will eat while they're gone - but some babies actually
do sleep 5-6 hours at a stretch at 2 months, so if the baby can get in a
good feed right before mom leaves, and again as soon as she's back, the
baby can often get by with one feed during the day. Yes, this does mean
that mom will need to do more nursing in the evening, but honestly, with
a fresh return to work, that's not all bad - it ties mom to the couch
when she gets home, hopefully dad/partner can make dinner and help out,
and mom gets some bonding time.
It helps to remind moms that there are also other ways to feed babies.
Syringes work in a pinch, as do spoons and medicine cups. Most babies
will get the hang of it once mom is at work for a day or two. Reassure
mom that her care provider will also have tricks she hasn't tried, and
she should just send a bunch of bottles and things to try.
I doubt that you going there to work on it *with* mom will be
successful. There are a lot of babies who won't take a bottle when mom
is even in the house - she may have to leave.
I have a lot more suggestions on this on my website:
http://www.workandpump.com/bottles.htm#Bottle_Refusal
http://www.workandpump.com/reversecycling.htm

Email me if you want to bang around ideas more.

Kirsten Berggren
www.workandpump.com