From:
Bonnie Riley RNC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 19:12:44 -0400
My name is Bonnie Riley RNC.  I am a Nurse Manager in a Women's Health
Services department.  We do about 90 deliveries a month in an LDRP
environment.  I oversee L&D, Postpartum and a Level II nursery (Also, gyn
surgery).  I am currently in the early stages of developing a strategy to
improve our breastfeeding support.  Our very first effort will be to complete
a patient survey.  I will also be gathering as much information as I can
about the immediate barriers to breastfeeding success in my institution.

My biggest concern is buy-in from the nursery staff, and the pediatricians.
 If you have been through a similar experience and can share some wisdom, I
would be very grateful.  I am convinced these nurses think that water
supplementation is the right thing to do for early breastfeeding moms.
 Unfortunately, I am coming behind a well-meaning but politically inept
individual who alienated many of these staff members.  I intend to use a very
careful, fact-based approach in the earlier parts of this effort.  The
pediatricians also offer a surprising amount of resistance.  If anyone has
any helpful strategies, I would be very grateful.

I will be developing a breastfeeding policy over the next few months, and
would welcome input towards that, as well.

Finding Lactnet has been great!