Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:25:41 EST
Gayle tells us,

> They took the average and set the levels there.  (They
> like to point out that the levels in Similac Advance are not as high as
> theirs.)  The typical American diet produces DHA/ARA levels which are below
> the world average.  Hence, the reps can represent that their product has
> higher levels of these fatty acids than breast milk as long as they are
> talking to an American audience.   In any of the presentations I have been
> to,
> the reps do not volunteer the source of the fatty acids.

Ah, but the proof is not in the levels of DHA/ARA in formula -- which is
higher, which is lower...the proof is in the amount of DHA/ARA that is
bioavailable to the infant and USED for the appropriate purpose -- that is,
what is the end result?  Are the children smarter than those fed formula
without DHA/ARA?  Smarter than those fed breastmilk with *low* levels of
DHA/ARA?  (Those that are in the U.S. for example?) What is the final
outcome?  The reps can blather on all they like about levels being higher
than they are hither, yither, or yon -- but unless the infant can utilize
them in the way he/she utilizes breastmilk, then what's the point?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com