From:
"Anne L. Varberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 00:38:18 -0500
I've been given permission to forward this posting from a parenting list, with
the names of the family removed.

------------ Forwarded Message begins here ------------

(Mom and baby) made it home yesterday, where they are nursing
just fine. (Mom) was discharged from the hospital 2 days
postpartum, while (Baby) had to stay for two extra days.  The
hospital wouldn't give (Mom) a room, even when she said she
would pay for it herself, and wouldn't give her any place to
sleep.  She came into the hospital every three hours to
bf (Baby), and then when he got dehydrated because of the bili lights,
she bf him every two hours. SHe and my brother had to sleep
on the floor, since they wouldn't let them use the couch in
the nursing room, in case a grieving couple had to use it.
The paed wrote an order for Similac supplementation, but (Baby)
escaped, since every time the nurses approached with a bottle,
(Dad) would wake up (Mom) and she would nurse the baby.  They
ended up not sleeping for three days straight, except for catnaps
on the floor, which must have felt terrible with an episiotomy.

(Mom)'s mom didn't bf.  Her sister didn't bf. But (Mom) did, with
a fierce commitment that leaves me awed. (Sentence deleted)

I'm not sure what we can do about the hospital, except not to
deliver there. It is Holy Cross, in suburban Maryland, near
Rockville.

------------ Forwarded Message ends here ------------

Comments, please?  This hospital is affiliated with Kaiser Permanente, which may
or may not mean anything for supporting breastfeeding.  What steps would you
recommend the parents take in communicating their concerns to the hospital?

Anne in Mpls