From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:50:02 -0500
I am not about to excuse in any way those peds who choose to be
ignorant, but we need to remember that there is another doctor
standing there at the moment of birth, just as the baby is prepared
to feed. Midwives who practice the midwifery model of care consider
it a part of their practice and protocol to be sure that the baby is
feeding--they consider feeding to be the final stage of birth, as it
rightfully is. Ob's are not generally advocates for breastfeeding--
they do not ensure proper education, nor do they make it their
responsibility to assure that successful feeding happens. If they did
address this issue, they would surely have to face the implications
that their own practices have in the failure of so many babies to feed.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
http://healinghumanpotential.blogspot.com/