From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:16:23 -0300
> However, the 5 S's must be "done correctly" because this reflex, like a
> knee reflex, requires great exactness to turn it on (if you whack a
> knee, but you're off by an inch NOTHING happens.  Likewise, if the 5 S's
> are done incorrectly (the shushing is too quiet or the swinging isn't
> jiggly enough - it may simply fail to turn the reflex on.

This surprises me, because precision is towards the end of my list of
parenting helps. It seems to me that each child needs something
different, and often a totally other thing the next week.

The only thing that is consistent, in my house, is the unpredictability
of parenting and the creative spirit in which we approach children's
needs. Systems and programs give us the satisfaction of doing something
about a problem, but give us the impression that we are in control.

Of course, this is a parenting question, and is therefore a matter of
opinion and experience -- and I may have too much of both.

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, mother (most important qualification for this post)