Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:44:29 +0100
>Re:  slow wt. gain baby of Carol's
>
>You might ask the mom if she is taking any stool softeners.  I had the same
>thing happen with my granddaughter and was totally puzzled, not to mention
>driving the ped. crazy,and finally the daughter-in-law mentioned that she had
>been taking stool softeners EVERY day.   Just a thought.....

But <puzzled  here too : ) > why would stool softeners affect the weight
gain of the baby and slow it down?

I  hate sounding negative - after all, I am sure we all think it is
important to be creative and flexible when tackling these issues. But to
make a connection between poor weight gain and stool softeners, do we not
have to know that the stool softener's effect could (even in theory) reach
the milk or the process of milk transfer in sufficient strength to actively
reduce possible weight gain?

I am genuinely open here - could it?  Long-term, heavy  use of
stool-softeners can apparently affect the absorption of vitamins by the
user, but would this really affect the weight gain of the baby a few weeks
old?

Of course taking a stool softener every day is not good news for the mother
: (

Still puzzled : )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK