From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 06:54:07 -0500
Dear Linda, In view of Reva Rubin's taking in and taking hold theory, pp
nurses could stand on their heads and sing BF info and the moms mostly just
won't get it!  They're not ready at 24-48 hours pp to take in our messages,
instructions, etc.
The pp nurse, with her little check list, who runs thru all the info in 5
minutes and says "do you understand dear?  Sign here that you understand"
is wasting everyone's time!  (Unfortunately she is just following policy
:-)  A long time ago Chris Mulford said they need to know 3 things before
they leave.
1. How to get the baby on so it doesn't hurt.
2. How to get the baby off so it doesn't hurt.
3. How to know if you are in trouble (ie: pain, input/output, infrequent
asking  to be fed sort of stuff) and who to call if you are in trouble.  (I
guess that is 4 :-)

My point is that in view of short stays we need to revise how we care for
pp women and babies. How we provide services.  How we follow-up.  And in
MNSHO the ins co are responsible for paying for these services.  The short
stay benefits them cost wise, breastfeeding benefits them cost wise, so
providing a drop-in center for all moms (BF or not) is part of the package.
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ