Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:32:42 +0100
A Rh neg  C antigen mother has given birth to a baby 6 wks pre-term.

Her colostrum appeared blood stained and she was told to discard it.

She has not been 'allowed' to bf until the milk has shown itself to
be clear of blood....just happened, baby is 3 days, and will be
'allowed' his first breastmilk tonight (via a tube).

The baby has been tube fed formula up until now.

I know that,  in itself, blood in the colostrum and/or milk would not
be harmful for the baby (and there's no suggestion this bleeding is
pathological, BTW). I have not heard of Rh neg C antigen being a
reason to withhold breastmilk. I have checked the archives of Lactnet
and found no more info, and a trawl elsewhere reveals nothing, so far.

Anyone know anything more? Are the professional carers justified in
withholding breastmilk, or are they doing the
sacrifing-breastfeeding-thing?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK