Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:30:55 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Pat Young is right when she identifies genetics as an important contributor to a child's oral development.  We have five children...ALL of them breastfed longer than 2 years, one of them for 5 years...and ALL of them have their dad's very large teeth and his very narrow palate.  I required extractions as a teenager and, again, as an adult, and had two rounds of braces since the first one was simply aesthetically corrective, unfortunately.  Our child with the least amount of orthodontic work used a pacifier occasionally while I worked very part-time and only used it for a few months.  The one with just a bit more work started sucking his thumb at age 2 and quit doing so on the day he turned 4.  During that time, he still nursed and, interestingly, he did not have an overbite.  All of our children have required multiple tooth extractions (our oldest who nursed for 5 years had oral surgery at age 6), palate expanders and at least one round of braces.

Personally, I chuckle (nicely, of course!) when I read that breastfeeding reduces orthodontia.  The only thing reduced at our house is our purchasing power after we pay the orthodontist each month, year after year after year <g>.  OTOH, I look at the "savings" accrued through never purchasing artificial milks...it's now buying the orthodontist a very nice, new car <g>.  Would their oral situations have been worse without breastfeeding?  I don't know and never will know...those who make that claim are simply speculating, IMHO.  BTW, Cathy, all of them have beautiful tongues, again, like my husband, who can (embarrassingly enough) touch the tip of his nose with the tip of his tongue.

FWIW (or not),
Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC in KS (who misses Dr. Palmer as a dentist!) 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2