From:
Barb Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:06:45 -0600
"With all the recent posts in news articles about conflicts of interest on
medical studies/outcomes today funded by drug companies, I think subscribers
to the list can assume that this is you and your husband’s personal
position, Kathy."

Although the subject of vaccines is off-topic, I feel that this remark being
of a personal nature regarding Kathy Dettwyler should not go unanswered on
this list.  In characterizing Kathy Dettwyler's post regarding thimerosal as
"you and your husband’s personal position", the author appears to be
attempting to isolate these two individuals as lone voices in their position
and/or to imply that Kathy's position is merely "personal", the inference
being that it has little or no factual basis and/or that it is not based on
any sort of rationality.  All of our opinions are, in fact, "personal", but
that does not say anything about their validity.

Many of us view science and scientific research with a critical eye, but
this doesn't mean we distrust all science.  Today trustworthy scientific
sources say there is no apparent link between mercury and autism.  Tomorrow
they may reverse that position, as they have on many others.  Although
bureaucracy, greed and other human foibles will continue to stifle progress
everywhere, I don't personally believe there is a world conspiracy to hide
negative evidence regarding vaccines, although I am willing to entertain the
thought that there may be some smaller ones going on.  It is not only valid
but absolutely essential that we critique *all* science.

However, it is not unreasonable to take the position that so far science
can't find a credible link between mercury and autism, but to nevertheless
be open to new evidence in the future indicating such a link, and even to
advocate for increased research in the area.  One does not have to agree
with that position, but it is shared by many thoughtful and well-informed
people, and espousing this view should not put one at risk of remarks of a
personal nature.

"Many of us who post feel differently regarding vaccines and will continue
to share and report such information."

I don't think anyone is asking anyone else not to share and report
information, but when posting regarding contentious issues, it is only
realistic to expect that others will respond.

I decided to vaccinate my children, but not until they were over the age of
2.  I respect parents' decisions on both sides of the issue and see that
both sides have valid concerns.  As with many health and social issues, we
have much to learn in this area and need to have respectful conversations
about it.

Barb Strange
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada