Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:57:03 +0000
I had a mother with what I called  a double nipple, but looking again
at the (not very good) photo she kindly allowed me to take, I would
say 'cleft nipple' is more accurate.

She had a very hard time bf at first and became very sore on that
side - the nipple was big as it was about twice the size of a usual
nipple and not symmetrical. Getting a decent latch on that side was
so difficult....and for a time she rested that side and expressed,
and just fed on the other side (I think probably giving the EBM or
storing it, I don't remember). After a week or so she gradually
reintroduced the baby to that side, and with practice, and the baby
growing, she managed to feed on both sides. We had discussed
one-sided feeding, but in the end she didn't need to do it. She was
so pleased - she had not managed to feed her first baby, as the cleft
nipple side developed mastitis and she was told she 'had to'  give
bottles : (

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK