Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:05:13 EDT
I received this email from a good customer who is also a Ped in my area.
Theese kinds of situations frustrate and baffle me.  Please lend me any
helpfull hints I can give this mom.  Mom works 3 days a week and has never
had much luck pumping with other 2 babies.  Breastfeeds when she is with
baby, pumps only at lunch break ( works in a busy ped clinic) formula feeds
at daycare.  I think the pulling off the breast is nipple
confusion/frustration.  The stool changes baffle me.  Any help appreciated.
Here was her question to me:  Baby is 4 months old.

Jessica--
I'm not sure what's going on with my little toot!  It honestly seems like MY
milk is hurting her stomach when she nurses.  She'll just nurse a few minutes
and then she keeps coming off crying--she'll get back on and take a few sucks
and then comes off crying again.  This has been going on for about a week
now.  She does not do this with formula at all.  Her stools are liquid dark
green with NO substance/curds in them at all and she has the most foul
smelling gas I've ever seen in a baby.  Could it be my diet??  I have had one
patient that was diagnosed as being allergic to his mother's milk--is that a
possibility??  I  feel really sad at the thought of discontinuing nursing,
but it's almost to that point.  If you have any suggestions please e-mail me
at

Thanks for any help
Jessica Donahue RN IBCLC