From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 08:44:34 -0500
"A recent post referred to an educational session during which C-i-a-C was
used instead of the word formula."

I heard long ago, and not in reference to breastfeeding, that if we're
trying to persuade someone to change, we do best to be *like* that person in
every way we can *except* the way in which we want them to change.  Calling
formula by an insulting name just makes us sound like fanatics.

In fact, the writer remembers LLL as "an organisation I have the highest
regard for while remembering that emotion at times got the upper hand in
meetings".  The shrillness made a lasting and negative impression on her.
Happily, I'd have to say I've heard that shrillness at an LLL meeting only
once in 26 years, and not from a Leader.

It occurred to me just the other day that the *winning* side is never
shrill; it's the ones who are trying to *get* the upper hand who may be.  I
think we portray not only a sense of truthfulness but also the sense that
we're a majority when we keep shrillness out of our comments.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA