From:
Laura Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:16:20 -0500
I have had probably 5 moms in the last 3 years who've had reduction surgery.
We have had varying degrees of milk production.  2 moms had the
nipple/areolar complex removed and these we struggled with .  Both moms were
told they'd be able to breastfeed no problem.  One mom had reduction the
preferred way but it left her nipples flattened, they didn't respond well to
stimulation by rolling and a shield didn't work well. She developed a staph
infection after the surgery on one side leaving it still discolored in one
area and with reduced production in that side compared to the other.  It
took about 4 weeks to see milk supply to what her baby needed and latching
well took a lot of work.  Pumping helped her nipples respond the best but it
did take some time.  Of course she had a baby who loved to suck on her
tongue and not open wide for awhile.

Laura Walker, RNC, IBCLC