From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:18:17 -0700
katherine in atl said-
"it's unfortunate that US diets have the lowest levels of DHA in
breastmilk in the world."

Please elaborate- what diet improves levels of DHA in human milk and which countries/cultures have such a diet and are there studies that demonstrate this?

also- I have a question about the concern over the DHA patenting issue.

  Our hospital gives away diaper bags (supplied by Similac)on discharge to ALL moms whether breast or bottle feeding and every bag has a bright shiny label on the front with a huge photo of a plump gorgeous baby and they all say something to the effect of "Contains DHA- studies show it enhances eye and brain development"

As I see it- the harm is already there-  so why all this concern over a patent- Similac is already using the "brand" DHA to sell its product anyway.  How does them obtaining a patent on DHA fundamentally change what they are already doing?

ps- I dump the formula in the trash before I give my BF moms their bag- I'd love to skip the whole thing but those moms want their free diaper bag!!

Mary Herrington RN L&D