From:
Emily J Sizer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:45:53 -0600
Hi, my name is Emily Sizer and I am currently a second semester junior
nursing student at the University of North Dakota.  I recently was helping
a family with quadruplets and was wondering about breastfeeding multiples.
According to mead et al (1992), although the incidence of triplet and
quadruplet births have increased in the US, few research-based guidelines
are available for assisting mothers of these multiple births with
breastfeeding.  Moms need to know the immunologic benefits of nursing
multiples, and also that breastfeeding may provide a feeling of added
closeness, which can east their anxieties about getting to know each of
their infants (Sollid, et al, 1989, p. 48).  Also knowing the benefits of
successful breastfeeding (enhanced maternal role attainment and
self-esteem) would be helpful to these mothers (Brandt, et al, 1998,
p.169).  Wouldn't having more education increase the likelihood that these
moms breastfeed?  Do you know of any specific pre or postnatal classes for
moms of multiples for breastfeeding education and encouragement?  I have
researched this subject and would appreciate any added information.
Thanks.

Mead, L.J., Chuffo, R., Lawlor-Klean, P., and Meier, P.  (1992).
Breastfeeding success with preterm quadruplets.  Journal of Obstetrics,
Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing 21(3).  May/June.  p. 221.

Sollid, D.T., Evans, B., McClowry, S.G., and Garrett, A.  (1989).
Breastfeeding Multiples.  The Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing
3(1).  July.  p. 48.

Brandt, K.A., Andrews, C.M., and Kvale, J.  (1998).  Mother-Infant
interaction and Breastfeeding Outcome 6 Weeks After Birth.  Journal of
Obstetrics, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing 27(2).  Mar/Apr.  p. 169.