From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 17:22:47 -0500
I'd like to join Linda Pohl on her thin-air soapbox:

Standard formulas are unnecessary.  They exist only because we have
failed to support breastfeeding and milk banking; their existence has
created a need that wasn't there to start with.  I'd say that puts them
in the same category as cigarettes:  a product for which there is never a
health benefit. I'd put "specialty formulas", for those few infants with
metabolic problems, in the same category as properly used drugs:  the benefit
outweighs the harm.  If industry had put the same effort and $ into
breastfeeding and milk banking that it has put into substitutes, just think
how healthy our milk banks (and we) would be!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY