From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:16:17 -0500
Thanks to all who shared their thoughts on my mom with cardiomyopathy.  I
saw her at the hospital this weekend (and plan to see her again tomorrow)
and she looks and feels surprisingly well!  She is pumping but getting very
little as one of her meds interferes with prolactin (per 98 Hale).  I hope
to talk with her some more about her medication plans.

She was told that postpartum cardiomyopathy is the "best" kind to have as it
is the type that is most likely to reverse itself.  As of Monday, the plan
is to follow her with medication for a while and if there is no improvement
to her heart damage, she will be put on the transplant list.  This mother is
37 years old.

Are there any reports of women post-transplant who breastfeed?  My suspicion
would be that the anti-rejection meds are contraindicated, but that is
really only a guess.  What meds are used after heart transplants?

She is optimistic about her bf relationship and I told her I would help her
get her baby back on the breast when the time is "right".  She was seeing an
LC at the hospital who she said was most kind and helpful.  If this LC is on
Lactnet (she thought her name was Sally), thank you for helping my friend.

Kathy, south of Washington DC where we are supposed to get snow...

Kathy Koch, LLL Leader, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they
miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when
raking leaves. ~Marcelene Cox ~