From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 23:42:21 -0700
Hi All,
I wanted to resopnd to Pierrette's comments.
Pierrette,
You are a rare find in the world of MDs.  Most of the MDs I come into
contact with believe that they know it all.  A few actually have admitted
that they don't know two hoots about BF, but then still gave out
bad/inappropriate advice, or refused to refer to an LC when needed.  Then
there are the few (that I can count on my hands) here in Sacramento, who
actually DO refer to LCs when needed.  Granted, I don't know all the Drs
here in Sacto., but I have worked with 100's of moms, and have had to deal
with a lot of fallout.
I think what we need from the good Drs, like you, the ones who care enough
to take the time to educate themselves, is good feedback and ideas on how
we, folks who are not HCPs, can work with educating the Drs who don't have a
clue.  One of the problems I am faced with all the time is how can I, a CLE,
talk to a DR who is supposed to know more than me, but in actuality, I know
more than them?  I have been told more times than I can count, "It is not
your place to educate the Dr.  You must support him when working with
parents.  Never say that the Dr doesn't know what he is talking about, even
if he doesn't and the info is harmful."  This is what many of us are faced
with, and it is frustrating to know that there are "You's" out there, just
not where we are!  :)
What would be great would be if there were some waay to make it mandatory
that to get your MD, you must take classes in BF and nutrition.  This way,
it is not an elective that one can look at and say "BF?  Forget that, ABM is
just as good."  It must be made an integral part of the MD education,
especially for the OB, the Ped and the FP, IMHO.
When we rant on about the lousy Drs we have to deal with, remember that we
are ranting about the ones who don't care enough to educate themselves.
IMHO, they aren't even worth going to, or wasting my time on.  These people
are supposed to "First Do No Harm" and harm is what they do every time they
tell a mother that ABM is as good as or better than breastmilk.  Every time
they give out those free ABM goody bags, they are causing harm to babies and
mothers.  When they stop allowing themselves to be manipulated by the ABM
companies, and start listening to research with open minds then we will see
a brighter future for our children.  But until then, we have to dream of
having Dr's like you, and our other wonderful MDs here, in our communities
for us to work with.
We need more Drs like you!  Want to move to Sacramento?? :D
Take care, and remember how special you are to us, and the moms and babies
you work with.  HOpefully, some of your intelligence will rub off on the Drs
around you who aren't as BF supportive as you.
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."