From:
Anne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:02:19 -0400
Hi Jaye,
Coxsackie virus (hand, foot and mouth) is self limiting but can be very painful in children.  Lesions usually appear a few days after a prodrome of fever, runny nose, loss of appetite, etc on the palms, soles and pharynx.  It is contagious during this period, most commonly from the oral secretions or contact with blisters but the virus may be found in the stool for several weeks after infection.
Adults can be immune if they were previously exposed but there are different strains of the virus so there is no guarantee.  However, the illness is adults is generally mild.
I personally nursed a miserable 18 month old (who nursed so much that his stools actually went back to the yellow curdy newborn stuff) through the disease many years ago and none of us (his 2 old brothers, myself or dad) contracted it.
Annie Brown, FNP, iBCLC
Greenwich CT