From:
Andrianos Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:26:41 -0700
The postings regarding exam preparation, need to see more pictures, etc.
prompts me to say that it appears that more clinical hours and
continuing education hours are necessary to qualify to take the
certifying exam. If candidates are so unsure of their ability to take
the entry level exam...to identify normal and problems, to sort out
elements of a problem, then perhaps they are not ready to "see patients"
as IBCLC's. The term consultant , in the common usage and in other
fields, implies that the consultant is the expert because of experience
(years and years)...the conusltant has seen so many situations (usual
and unusul) that she is uniquely qualified to advise regarding a
difficult problem.

In the course I teach, the need to see patients (clients, mother babies,
etc) is emphasized each day, and she is encouraged  to go to areas she
is unfamiliar with...ie and LLLL needs to go to the hosp. and see new
borns, the NICU nurse to LLL or public health etc. This is essential!

 I also agree with Kathleen Auerbach,  that preparation courses can be
invaluable in the learning process and in identifying readiness to take
the exam and assume the responsibilities of  an IBCLC.
--
Anne Andrianos, MS,RN,IBCLC
Breastfeeding Resources