From:
Pat A Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:46:33 -0500
I'm posting this for a friend who is not currently on Lactnet
Pat Bucknell IBCLC
------------------

March 31,2003
From: Madonna Fasimpaur IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Sub. AAP & VitD
Thank you Dr. Wright. Please 'duck' as you read, it's possible you're in
cross-fire. I always like the accurate science side of evidence based
research. I do have a question. Who are the "public health people"? Would
they be the same "public health people" who are the largest formula co.
customers in the United States; i.e.. the U.S. government "public health
people"? Are these the same "public health people" that have provided the
imput to USDA/WIC to prohibit human donor milk for WIC participants
because
of the nutritional variability of each donation? Or are these the" public
health people" that that require a low income mother to choose between
keeping a roof over her baby's head, his body from hypothermia, leaving
him
with a stranger ("..we'll find you a day care provider"), or receive
assistance? Or is it  MCH/WIC program directors that do not provide
electric
breast pumps for HHS's identified highest risk of not breastfeeding
population, or directors that only issue a an electric pump after 4 weeks
when breastfeeding failed, because mother had to return to school or work
before 4 weeks postpartum ? Of course I'm guessing here. It really could
be
"public health people" like CDC or NIH who are more "health" science
based
than "politically correct".
I'm wondering when ALL "public health people" will start addressing
breastfeeding as a HEALTH ISSUE and not a political football to be kicked
arround while Medicaid pays for preventable illnesses due to feeding
choices
made without informed consent!!!!!! I'm sure your answer will be shorter
than
my question(s)!
Thank You Dr. Wright,
Madonna Fasimpaur RCL,IBCLC