From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 23:49:07 +0000
Judy asked
< why use a gel to prevent painful engorgement when you can
< bottlefeed AIM? Mother's who bottle feed  think they will be free
< from problems...

I saw this gel (vivid dark green stuff) at the ILCA conference
exhibits in Scottsdale in 1995.   I thought at first that it was a
joke. It did not have FDA approval at that stage so it was not for
sale, but we could try it.  It felt cold on the skin, like menthol.
At that stage I had not developed my habit of tasting everything
that is marketed to go anywhere near nipples, but I'll bet it has a
much stronger taste than cabbage leaves. Also the aloe vera ingestion
by a baby is a concern

Curiously, it was being promoted for engorgement at ILCA, but I was
told that the week before the same company was at the AWOHN (sp?)
Conference actively promoting it to "help your mothers dry up their
milk". Yes, even bottlefeeding mothers need cabbage gel.

How about someone asking for the company's references to support
their claims and let us know. Until then I'll stick with the cabbage
patch.

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia - where winter is steadily setting in while you
northern hemisphere folks boast of spring in the air.  Turned on the
heat bank today.