Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:22:17 EDT
I have searched the archives but have failed to find information about how to
get a premie (born 30 weeks, now 6 weeks) to nurse long enough so that the mom
can eliminate the supplements.  The baby is receiving EBM in bottles.  Mom is
unwilling to use SNS or finger feeder.  (An understandable aversion to
returning to tubes now that the baby is home)  Will work with her today on Dr.
Jack's Breast Compression technique.  I also have her now offering on request
instead of hospital schedule, doing skin-to-skin.  Is time and patience going
to be the answer?

About the mom who got diahrea when nursing.  Purely antidotal - I helped a mom
who did that and she finally linked it to a high carbohydrate diet.  When she
switched to a high protein diet the gas and diahrea with nursing went away.
When her body had more fully recovered from the birth, a month or so, she was
able to reintroduce carbs.

Sue, LLLL