From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:39:24 -0500
Back in Oct. I posted a message re: a mother experiencing a hyperthyroid
crisis.  She was losing 1# per day, racing heart rate, elevated blood
levels.  Was beginning to wean for treatment.  Then, a reversal started.
A brief period of normal values and feeling well, milk supply which had
dipped, was returning.  But now is in a hypothyroid condition. She is
receiving replacement hormone. but is having difficulty getting the dose
right. With one dosage (1.25mg.  synthyroid she's symptomatic, with 1.50
she's hyper...etc.) The question she asked...does the fact that she is
lactating make controlling her condition more difficult? Her baby is 7
mos. on some solids, but still nurses a lot. She feels that since
lactation is the normal condition for a woman 7 mos post partum, that
BFing is not complicating her treatment, but requests some other
opinions.  Her MD's have spoken with R. Lawrence when she was
hyperthyroid, I suggested a 2nd consult. TIA, Anne Andrianos