Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:25:17 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I have worked with several moms in the NICU with these type of problems.  A lot depends on the extent of "trauma" to the brain if any, the cause of the Hydrocephalus, the gestational age, the reason for second shunt in baby, and any other problems this couplet might have.

Sepsis of a shut, need for a shunt due to "intracranial bleeding (IVH), organic brain problems, etc. will all have a baring on the child and BF  (IMO).  I have had one infant that had a sever IVH that lead into a more sever brain problem after the shunt, who was not able to suck at all and had many other limitations.  The flip side is that I have seen 1 or 2 others that had no suckle problems at all, both on bottle/pacifier or breast.  I would say that each case must be judged and evaluated on its own.

I would suggest mom talk to her neuro-surgeon for the exact reason for the shunt and its replacement and  the cranial ultrasound results would also give them a good understanding of prognosis and expectations for the infant.

As far as what can be done - that again depends on the reasons.  If it was just an infected shunt or one that did not function - AND - that is the only problem with a good prognosis - I would think there would be little problem once the infection was resolved and the infant had recovered from the surgery.

If on the other hand there was more involved neurological problems - then this may be a different situation requiring special consideration.  

I just finished reading an article " March of Dimes Nursing Module - Breastfeeding the Neurologically Impaired Infant" by Sarah Coulter Danner, CPNP, CNM, IBCLC.  This one is copyright 1997, and a reference for (1987).  This is a good 5 1/2 page section of the module.  I am sure I have read other references but can't bring them to mind right now.

Hope this helps.

Ann Slaughter RNC, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2