From:
Jamie Penrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:02:54 -0600
I appreciate all the great suggestions regarding the "visitor" problem
at our hospital.  Believe me we have tried them all.  We also have neat
little signs that mom can use that say things like " Mom and baby are
resting, please check at the Nurses's station".
In my experience, Mom is often hesitant to use them.  If she does she
feels, "guilty", or "unsociable".  I still feel that the problem goes
much deeper.  It is still society's influence on the new mom.  I really
believe that if she had supportive people at the bedside, be it family,
friends or staff that cheered her on, and gave supportive and helpful
tips, instead of constant "bad advise and criticizm", she would be much
more likely to nurse her baby past the first day.  I,m certain it is
horrible to hear things such as "Yea, I tried that too, but it hurt too
bad", or "My nipples bled and were cracked".  Or then you have the
famous, "Dont't you want to feed the baby a bottle until your milk comes
in, he is STARVING"!!
Lets face it, we have a LONG LONG way to go!

Jamie Penrod RN CLC, 2005 IBCLC candidate
St. Mary's Hospital for Women and Children
Evansville, IN