From:
Susan Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 20:25:02 +1000
Dear wise ones,
We have recently reviewed our b/f guidelines, and now, if a healthy term
neonate has a good initial first breastfeed (witnessed) we leave them for 12
hours before considering it necessary to disturb their sleep for feeding.
Then we review, and may leave them  longer. (No blood sugar levels etc- we
don't feel it necessary, unless they are symptomatic)
However, we have come up against one staff member who is creating waves,
with a resulting meeting in a couple of days.

Our view is that they should prove the guidelines are harmful by producing
research, however, I fear we may have to be the ones to do the proving.
(Guilty until proven innocent, isn't it?)

I know this is the policy for many Australian hospitals, but did a lit
search today with very disappointing results- absolutely nothing!!!
Does any one have any research to support leaving healthy babies alone?
Many thanks
Susan in Qld, Australia